- Market and technology studies for high performance fibers and composites.
- Use of and properties of carbon fiber and carbon fiber composites.
- Applications and processing of carbon fiber composites.
Managing Director of a privately-held corporation specializing in sizing, coating, and chopping of high-performance fibers (1994 - present).
- Principal Scientist on Phase 1 and Phase 2 SBIR programs for NSF and Air Force Material Laboratory (2006 - present).
Founder and Principal Investigator of a company that conducts single-client studies on the markets and technologies of high performance fibers and composites.
- More than 50 clients, worldwide, have called related to technical and market opportunities for carbon fiber and composites.
Exxon, New Venture Division 1972 - 1980
- Consultant, Marketing Manager and Director of Advance Planning.
- The carbon fiber and composite activities of this company were subsequently acquired by DuPont (Conoco) and Cytec.
Narmco (now Cytec), Department Manager, Research Division of Narmco 1968 - 1972
- Developed high temperature resins and composite structures under government contracts.
- Responsible for one of the first carbon fiber prepreg lines.
Rockwell Division, North American Aviation. Senior Scientist 1961 - 1968
- Developed high temperature polymers for rocket motor applications.
Hughes Aircraft Company, Senior Scientist and Section Manager, Research Laboratories 1956 - 1961
- Developed high temperature resins for electronic applications under government contracts
Honors & Publications
- Two books on high temperature polymers, a major monograph on pitch-based carbon fibers, and nearly 100 papers and patents
- Active member of several technical and trade groups, including SAMPE, ACS, SAE, and SACMA
- Chairman, Gordon Research Conference on Polymers
- Lecturer at Clemson University, North Carolina State University, and Intertech Conferences on Carbon Fiber (1998 - 2006)
PhD, Polymer Chemistry, and post graduate studies, University of Southern California
MS, Analytical Chemistry, University of Minnesota
BS, Chemistry, University of Minnesota