- Analysis and composition of petroleum refinery products and refined materials.
- Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and compounds.
- Development of crude oil refinery separation methods and distillate fractions (including asphalt and residuum).
- High performance liquid chromatography (HPLC).
- Fluorescence spectroscopy.
- UV absorption spectroscopy; gas and mass spectrometry.
- As expert witness, assessing petroleum refinery products, specifications, impurities and analytical methods.
Independent Consulting, 2002 - Present
- Provide solutions in the chemistry industry; analysis of petroleum-related materials and the polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs).
- An expert in the chemistry and analysis of the polycyclic aromatic compounds.
- Specialist in the development of separation methods aimed particularly at crude oil, its distillate fractions (including asphalt and residuum), catalytically-processed petroleum products (waxes, mineral oils, lube oil basestocks, fuels, and intermediate oils), petrochemical products, and additives.
- Development of separation methods aimed particularly at crude oil, its distillate fractions (including asphalt and residuum), catalytically processed petroleum products (waxes, mineral oils, lube oil base stocks, fuels, intermediate oils), petrochemical products and additives.
- In depth support of high-performance liquid, supercritical fluid, gel-permeation and gas chromatography, fluorescence and UV absorbance measurements.
Chevron Research Company, 1980 - 2001
- Served as Senior Research Chemist. Other positions supported: Laboratory Manager and Senior Trainer for the Research and Technology Centre holding training courses in quality principles, project management, chromatography, fluorescence spectrometry, and the principles of chemical analysis.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Chemical Society
- Society for Applied Spectroscopy
- American Society for Testing and Materials, committee E-13 on molecular spectroscopy International Society for Polycyclic Aromatic Compounds
- Chemical Consultants Network
- Erich Clar Award of the International Society for Polycyclic Aromatic Compounds (resulting from a variety of research achievements)
- Marquis' Who's Who in Science and Engineering
- Marquis' Who's Who in America
- Recipient of the ISPAC award for outstanding research on polycyclic aromatic compounds
Publications and Patents
- Plenary speaker, International Symposium on Polycyclic Aromatic Compounds
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- Dept. of Chemistry, University of Arkansas - Distinguished Alumni Speaker,
- Dept. of Chemistry, University of Missouri at Kansas City
- Dept. of Chemistry, San Jose State University
- National Institutes for Standards and Technology
- American Chemical Society tour speaker
Editorial Advisory and Committees
- Journal of Chromatography
- Fresenius Journal of Analytical Chemistry
- Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry
- Analytical Chemistry, A-Page advisory board
- Polycyclic Aromatic Compounds, topical editor for analytical chemistry
- Selection Jury, ACS Chromatography award
- Selection Jury, ACS Division of Analytical Chemistry, Chemical Instrumentation
- Author - Coauthor: Book and Chapters
- 4 patents
- Ph.D. Analytical Chemistry, University of Georgia, Athens, GA
- B.S. Chemistry with Honors, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, AR