- Designed/built polyethylene teraphalate polyester (PET) staple fiber production facilities: Spinning, drawing, cutting, relaxation oven, baling machines.
- Designed spinnerets for PET solid, hollow and mono-component and bi-component fibers.
- Developed and produced PET fiberfill products (dry and siliconized).
- Developed and produce PET specialty staple fibers such as Coolmax® and Thermolite® fibers.
- Developed bi-component and mono-component fibers.
- Lab equipment for testing and evaluating PET fibers.
- Worked with fiber producers in the U.S., Asia and Europe.
Independent Consultant, 2005 - Present
- For facility in India, designed and built low cost PET spiral crimp conjugate staple fiber production facilities (-70 tons/day) and developed siliconized conjugate fiberfill products.
- Designed and built relaxation/drying ovens for mechanically crimped siliconized fiberfill products.
- Developed PET carpet fibers after modifying production facilities.
- Developed fibers for hydro-entangling end uses.
- Designed numerous spinnerets for PET solid/hollow fibers.
DuPont Consultant, 2002 - 2008
- Developed staple fibers for DuPont Sontara® in Asia.
- Modified a draw machine and cutter for uniform finish application, preventing fibers from fusing.
- Developed/optimized processes on the spinning machine, draw machine and cutter at low manufacturing costs.
- Developed products that were processed very well at the DuPont plant.
- Assisted in designing/building a 6-position development spinning machine in Asia to develop Sorona® (PTT) fibers.
- Designed spinnerets with different cross-sections.
- Optimized and developed processes for Sorona® staple products.
- Developed staple products for cotton and worsted systems.
- Wrote a staple technology manual for Sorona®.
Du Pont and Invista, Kinston, NC, Research Fellow, 2001 - 2003
- Shut down of Kinston staple plant in 2001.
- Key technician to outsource the products (fiberfill and branded specialty) in Asia (Japan, Korea, Indonesia and Thailand).
- Modified spinning and draw machines producing fiberfill and specialty products.
- Designed spinnerets for Coolmax®, Thermolite®, 1-hole, 4-hole and 7-hole fibers.
- Optimized/developed processes for these products at low manufacturing costs.
Du Pont, Kinston, NC, 1973 - 2001
Held the following research titles at Du Pont: Research Fellow (highest technical position, Senior Research Associate, Research Associate, Senior Research Engineer, Senior Engineer and Research Engineer. Program responsibility and accomplishments included:
- Quality improvement programs
- Improved polymer filter/spin pack /spinneret/quench designs.
- Uniform finish application system on the draw machine.
- Automatic finish concentration control system at SM and DM.
- Uniform crimp by modifying crimper roll/chamber surfaces and optimizing crimp.
- Uniform slickener application for fiberfill products.
Analytical tools to improve quality of fibers and predict downstream fiber performance
- Fabric or fiber static properties.
- % FOT (finish on tow) measurement.
- Fiberfill properties (bulk and slickness).
- Sliver draft force measurement or sliver performance tests for textile and fiberfill end uses.
- Fabric moisture management tests.
- CTU (crimp take-up) and other crimp properties.
Intimate knowledge and experience in downstream processes
- Textile process - carding/drawing/roving/spinning (ring, open-end, air jet), winding, weaving, dyeing, and finishing.
- Experience with cotton and woolen systems.
- Tow downstream processes.
- Fiberfill downstream processes.
Development of fiberfill products from 100% PET waste at DuPont - Kinston
- Developed new fiberfill products (1-hole, 4-hole & 7-hole) by using 100% PET waste.
- Optimized/developed spinning and drawing processes.
- Equipment upgrades on spinning and drawing machines.
Expertise on new fiber products developed at DuPont
- Understand development infrastructure (e.g. pilot plant, prototypic spinning positions, a small draw machine and fiber evaluation facilities) and can help to build low cost development facilities.
- Fibers with excellent water repellent property.
- Textile tows - developed all PET tow products at DuPont: Monocomponent and bicomponent tows; fiberfill spreadable tows.
- Bicomponent fibers (side-by-side) and sheath/core fibers.
- Sheath/core binder fibers (low melt binder fibers).
- Jet quench fibers (asymmetrically quenched).
- High void (greater than 30% void) fibers for fiberfill.
- Staple for: Carpet fibers; paper making (uncrimped short-cut length fibers to make papers); PTT or Sorona® staple fibers.
- Non-wovens: Fibers for Sontara®, diapers, wipes and other markets.
University of Utah, Utah, Research Associate, 1972 - 1973
- Developed computer programs for blood flow (fluid mechanics).
Honors & Publications
- Outstanding Alumnus Award from Brigham Young University
- Several disclosures and patents.
- A number of presentations on synthetic fibers in Asia.
- Numerous internal reports on PET and acrylic fibers at DuPont.
- Ph.D. Degree, Chemical Engineering, University of Cincinnati, OH
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, Brigham Young University, Provo, UT