- Composite material selection, design, test, manufacturing, and sourcing.
- Prototyping using stereo-lithography (SLA), part mock-up.
- Composite hardware integration - Aerospace.
- Intellectual property legal support with a focus on composite materials.
- Expert witness for composite technology and parts.
Independent Consultant, Present
Undisclosed Company, Space Systems Division, 2005-2012
- Specialty Engineering Composites Specialist supporting a large classified Space Program.
- Program Lead Engineer - Materials property database - Evaluated systems, procured and implemented database (hardware and software) across space systems organization.
Panteral Composites, Cupertino, CA Consultant/Contractor, 1995 - 2005
- Space Systems/Loral: Executed exclusivity agreement with major aerospace company to develop a thermal interface material. Submitted six (6) patent applications. Created marketing collateral; strengthened partnerships with vendors that optimized process control, optimized novel electroless copper metallization process for RF components.
- Fiberite Centrifuge: Developed powder coating process for non-conducting composite with reduced 250o F cure; modified resin system greatly reducing cure times and material cost; increased process window for current product line.
- Hexcel Corporation: Prepared technical and production portions of a missile and antenna sub-system proposal for defense customer; reviewed additional offload opportunities
- Merlin Technologies: Conducted mechanical testing for polymer composite; reviewed advanced antenna proposals and recommended manufacturing processes.
- Omega Pacific: Devised and conducted feasibility study for recreational product.
- Integrated Composites Inc: Developed marketing collateral to include in trade shows, brochures, and direct mail; initiated programs for compression molding Panavision film magazines and developed RTM process for specialized surgical device.
Raytheon/Missile Systems Division, Tewksbury, MA Senior Engineer, 1990 - 1995
- Managed Aegis missile advanced radome bonding program.
- Directed qualification requirements for 2nd source vendors for AMRAAM fuze antennas.
- Optimized cooling using thermal analysis (SINDA) for Patriot electronics.
- Designed and developed Advanced Sparrow Composite Cover Ejection System managing laboratory testing and coordinated impact testing at Sandia National Labs. Awarded patent bonus for ejectable cover design and prototype.
BP Chemicals Inc. / HITCO, Advanced Materials Division, Auburn, WA, Manager,1992 - 1994
- Managed eighteen engineers and toolers in $30 million composite manufacturing business with 450 employees.
- Products included missile launch tubes and components, engine nacelles, and aircraft interior and exterior products.
- Provided engineering input for commercial bid activities including aircraft interiors, winglets, and commercialized pultrusion process.
United Technologies Corp/Pratt & Whitney, East Hartford, CT, Sr. Engineer, 1984 - 1990
- Developed two "Erosion Protection Systems for Airfoils" and submitted patent disclosures.
- Lead Advanced Tactical Fighter (ATF) engine development of composite vanes, shrouds, cases, and inlet guide vanes including work supported by Mantech contract.
- Designed and procured automated composites molding system.
- Responsible for composite nozzle and flex seal portion of advanced solid rocket motor (space Shuttle) proposal to NASA - UTC Team.
- Worked numerous tooling programs.
Honors & Publications
- Licensed Professional Engineer California
- Licensed pilot
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Chairman Northern California SAMPE
- Chairman SAMPE Workshop
- Board of Directors, VTF Services
- National Space and Missile Materials Symposium : "Thermal Interface Material for Space Applications."
- Paper presented at The 26th Annual International Conference on Advanced Ceramics.
- 3 U.S. Patents Issued.
- M.S. Electrical Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT