- Provides consulting services and a global view for the aerospace, air cargo, airline, aviation, defense and security industries.
- Most recent projects include: Assessment of the commercial airline market in Brazil, the various cargo and passenger screening technologies to be used at U.S. Airports, the various business models and plans for cargo carriers and the business plan and organization of various airlines.
- Proven expertise in worldwide contracts, world trade and transportation and security.
- Transportation and cargo security.
- International sourcing, government contract development, relationship building and negotiations.
- Beverage and bottling.
- Supply chain management.
- Air cargo.
- International marketing - import and export.
- Packaged food export.
- Led negotiations with Mexican government agencies and private firms for joint production of grocery items and the importation of seafood for HY VEE, a large American supermarket chain.
- Brought a major independent American soft drink manufacturer, the A.J. Canfield Company, into the global arena with significant success in Latin American and European markets generating sales in excess of $5 million.
- Managed all aspects of international business for several American firms and responsible for operations from import to local production including finance, marketing, logistics and agent selection.
- Established a profitable business relationship between Blommer Chocolate and Southeast Asia's largest producer of snack products, which generated $500,000 in ingredient sales annually.
Logistics and Customer Relations
- Proven success in and knowledge of all aspects of domestic and international transportation, logistics and supply chain management.
- Established supply chain management for major European bottlers in the United Kingdom and Benelux markets.
- Organized and expedited the successful transportation of perishable and sensitive cargoes receiving numerous customer acknowledgments and extended good will.
- Won back major accounts for an international airline by concentrating on providing excellent customer focus and competitive prices.
- Resolved major customer problems protecting a $1 million account by combining two modes of transportation.
- Brought on as General Sales Manager for a newly formed ocean carrier. Grew the business from scratch to more than $500,000 in less than six months.
- Built and managed full profit and loss for privately held export management consulting business generating $2.7 to $5 million annually.
- Directed and managed finance and international monetary issues for the A. J. Canfield Company in its franchise expansion from 3 to more than 41 international markets.
Staff Development, Education and Training
- Created focused and well-respected sales training for the Steel Tank Institute, a major petroleum industry trade association.
- Built an effective sales force for a newly formed ocean carrier.
- Instructed students at University of Wisconsin in International Logistics.
- Guest lecturer at Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University.
- Taught International Business/Marketing at the College of Lake County.
Aviation Safeguards, Philadelphia, PA, 2002 - 2007
- Rebuilt and refocused a 250 person workforce; transitioned from a solely security related endeavor to a customer service and security organization, serving the needs of such air carriers as American, United, US Airways, British Airways and Lufthansa among others.
- Overhauled the HR function: Reestablished the chain of command; increased training with a more relevant program; improved employee working conditions, communication and pay; overhauled pay program and increased efficiency and effectiveness of the work force.
- Developed new business in while maintaining the existing level of business and service; total profit and loss responsibility.
El Al Israel Airlines, Chicago, IL, Cargo Manager-Midwest, 2001 - 2002
- Resolved customer concerns over security issues and acted as interface in dealing with American market.
- Rebuilt and oversaw both sales and operations for cargo flowing between Europe and the Mid-east.
TNT U.S.A., Inc., Chicago, IL, International Account Manager, 2000 - 2001
- Developed and maintained sales relationships for the company's top major accounts including Abbott Laboratories, Northern Trust and the State Bank of India. Recruited to join El Al.
United Parcel Service, Hinsdale, IL, International Account Executive, 1999 - 2000
- Provided operations and sales support on a regional level as part of a newly formed initiative to establish a significant presence within the Northern Illinois marketplace for international shipments.
- Maintained particular focus on the association, legal banking and freight-forwarding market segments. Recruited away by TNT.
Fine Airlines, Chicago, IL, Manager-Midwest Region, 1998 - 1999
- Directed the Midwest Region for this Miami-based all-cargo carrier serving South and Central America.
- Turned around the operation into a major factor in the market by building a new sales and operations team.
United Airlines, Chicago, IL, Cargo Coordinator, 1997 - 1998
- Started off as a domestic customer service representative and then grew to handle on a management level cargo solicitation, freight operation, customs clearance, documentation, and the formulation of plans for increasing market share of the worldwide air cargo movement.
K & L Associates, Inc., Deerfield, IL, Principal, 1983 - 1997
- Developed International clientele for small and medium sized American companies.
- Assisted them to initiate and/or expand worldwide sales via hands-on direction of their international and export departments.
- Focus on the promotion of American made food and beverage items.
- Provided expertise in the areas of international marketing, sales, logistics, transportation, finance, banking, trade shows, promotion, labeling, regulation, agent and representative selection, and customs/tariffs.
Steel Tank Institute, Northbrook, IL, Director of Marketing, 1981 - 1983
- Formulated and implemented advertising, training, marketing and promotional programs for this national trade association.
- Created programs to ensure that the members' underground storage tanks could successfully compete against fiberglass tanks.
- Implemented a national advertising program.
Honors & Publications
- International Business and Marketing, Michigan State University
- International Trade and Commerce, University of Wisconsin
- Lecture and guest speaker
- MBA Executive MBA Program, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA
- B.S. Marketing and Transportation, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN