- Environmental toxicity and developmental toxicology (teratology).
- Toxicology, teratology (reproductive toxicology), reproductive physiology, environmental medicine, and endocrinology.
- Taught courses on teratology, developmental toxicology, both general and environmental toxicology, developmental biology, human embryology, reproductive physiology, endocrinology, general physiology, and technical methods.
- Current research interests include investigation of mechanisms and development of assays for developmental toxicity.
- Experience with detection of toxicant-induced DNA strand breaks in organogenesis stage mammalian embryos.
- Studied the influence of nutritional status on developmental toxicity.
- Investigated the teratogenic potential of environmental toxicants, such as mycotoxins and arsenicals, and has conducted research on teratogen x teratogen and gene x teratogen interactions.
- Participated in a number of workshops and expert panels on developmental toxicity and risk assessment, and he is a current ad hoc member of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency FIFRA Scientific Advisory Panel's Food Quality Protection Act Science Review Board (FQPA/SRB).
Independent Consultant 1978 - Present
University of Alabama:
- Professor Emeritus of Biological Sciences, Department of Biological Sciences, 2000 - Present.
- Adjunct Professor of Public Health, School of Public Health, 1988 - Present.
- Professor Biological Sciences, Cell, Molecular, and Developmental Biology Section, Department of Biological Sciences, 1978 - 2000.
- Consultant in Environmental Medicine, U.S. Veterans Administration, Office of Medicine and Surgery, Agent Orange Special Projects Office (off site), 1983.
- Special Consultant, Environmental Health Committee, Science Advisory Board, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, 1983 - 1993.
- Associate Professor of Biology, 1973 - 1978.
- Assistant Professor of Biology, 1968 - 1973.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's Food Quality Protection Act Science Review Board (FQPA/SRB).
- Teratology Society - Past Teratology Society activities: Chairman of the Membership Committee, the Constitution and Bylaws Committee, and the Education Committee; member of the Ad Hoc Committee on Ethics, the Ad Hoc Warkany Lecturer Selection Committee, the Ad Hoc Expert Testimony Committee, and the Web Site Committee.
- Society of Toxicology.
- Reproductive and Developmental Toxicology Specialty Subsection of the Society of Toxicology. Currently - Newsletter Editor; past - Member of the Nominations Committee.
- Roundtable of Toxicology Consultants.
- Neurobehavioral Teratology Society (Charter Member).
- Society for the Study of Reproduction (Charter Member).
- American Association for Laboratory Animal Science.
- Editorial Board, Fundamental and Applied Toxicology.
- Editorial Board, Toxicological Sciences.
- Editorial Board, InScight.
Honors & Publications
Authored or edited numerous publications (research articles, reviews, books, and book chapters).
- Phi Kappa Phi
- Sigma Xi
- Phi Theta Kappa
- Alpha Zeta
- NASA Research Trainee, Purdue University, 1966-1968.
- University Research Fellow, Purdue University, 1965-1966.
- Pantex Research Fellow, Texas Tech University, 1964-1965.
PH.D. Reproductive Physiology, Purdue University
M.S. Applied Population Genetics, Texas Tech University
B.S. Animal Science, Texas Tech University