Analytical and Computational
- Theoretical and numerical modeling of fluid dynamic, thermal convection, and thermal conduction processes.
- Modeling and simulation of systems with thermal radiation, mass diffusion, natural convection, and two-phase heat transfer.
- Heat exchanger design, analysis, and simulation.
Experimental and Testing
- Measurements and testing in thermal systems including temperature, pressure, heat flux, and mass flow rate sensing.
- Measurements in high temperature and medium vacuum systems.
- Blast pressure and impulse measurements in the near-field blast region.
- Measurements of blast effects and blast structural response to detonations.
- High-speed photographic analysis of detonation and blast events.
- Chemical plasma reactor design, development, and testing.
- Calorimetric measurements in microwave plasma.
- Aftercooler and heat exchanger design and performance testing.
- Instrument and precision thermal sensor calibration.
- Data acquisition techniques.
Undisclosed Company, Senior Research Scientist, 2004 - Present
- Modeling, analysis, and testing of structural response to blast loading.
- Near-field measurements of peak pressure and blast impulse loading of structures.
- Thermodynamic modeling of post-detonation combustion processes.
- Simulation of shock-induced g-loading of near-blast transducers.
- Development and application of digital image correlation for blast effects testing and study.
BlackLight Power, Inc., Director, Plasma Cell Engineering, 1999 - 2004
- Plasma system design, modeling and testing.
- Calorimetric measurements in microwave and inductively-coupled plasma.
- Chemical reactor design and analysis.
- Spectroscopic measurements and analysis of gas and metal vapor discharge plasma.
General Air Products, Inc., Thermal Products Research and Development, 1997 - 1999
- Design, simulation, testing and optimization of heat exchangers.
- Thermodynamic modeling of air compressor operation.
- Design, simulation, analysis and testing of shell and tube and crossflow heat exchangers and aftercoolers.
- Thermal/hydrodynamic modeling of combustion gas cooling and drying processes.
Florida Institute of Technology, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, 1988 - 1997
- Analytical/computational study of thermal convection and mass diffusion in porous media; radon gas infiltration.
- Experimental simulation of heat transfer and buoyancy-induced convection in attic-shaped enclosures; residential energy conservation.
- Study of leachate diffusion and convection in the vicinity of landfills; environmental flows.
University of Pennsylvania, Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mechanics, 1982 - 1988
- Analytical/computational and experimental studies of buoyancy induced thermal convection in enclosures.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations,
- The American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM)
- The American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE)
Publications and Patents
- Numerous publications and presentations
- Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, CA
- M.S Mechanical Engineering, Penn State University, University Park, PA
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering, Villanova University, Villanova, PA