- Pesticide (insecticide, herbicide) regulations and incident investigations.
- Public speaking regarding to pesticides and pesticide regulation and enforcement.
- Extensive experience in enforcement and compliance with environmental regulations - especially in regards to federal compliance and enforcement of insecticide, herbicide and other pesticide materials.
- Knowledgeable of the legal foundations and requirements for conducting civil and criminal environmental investigations.
- Investigation of pesticide incidents to determine compliance with federal, state and/or tribal requirements under applicable statues and ordinances.
- Training and personal experience involving the rules and procedures involving the registration and reregistration of pesticides and establishments under the requirements of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and state regulator agencies.
- Credentialed to conduct Pesticide Registration Data Audits which included over 400 hours of specialized training regarding pesticide toxicology, human and ecological effects, environmental fate and pesticide chemistry.
- Trained in FBI Criminal Investigation Course for EPA Investigators.
- Basic Criminal Investigations Course for Environmental Crimes, Federal Law Enforcement Training Center.
- White Collar Crimes Investigations and Audits, Federal Law Enforcement
Present, Independent Consultant
- Insecticide, herbicide, rodenticide and other pesticide materials.
- EPA pesticide registration.
- Expert witness on use and abuse of insecticides, herbicides, rodenticides and other pesticide materials.
Selected Expert Testimony Experience:
- Criminal prosecution of American Electric Co., Jacksonville, FL (PCB's)
- Criminal prosecution of Paul Walls, Hattiesburg, MS (Methyl Parathion)
- Criminal prosecution of George Trepel for murder, State prosecution, Bartow, FL (Pesticides)
- Testified in approximately two dozen federal and state administrative hearings and civil trials prosecuting corporations and individuals for violations of state and federal pesticide laws.
- Testified in one private litigation trial and numerous depositions in private suits both under subpoena and when in the interest of the government.
National Pesticides Expert, U.S. EPA, Atlanta, Georgia,
- Resource and adviser to EPA Region 4 management on issues regarding the regulation of pesticides.
- Responsible for State and Federal Inspector Training. Coordinates complex pesticides investigation and is Chief Investigator for the Region 4 Pesticides program.
- Provided expert witness testimony to EPA and other federal agencies in litigation involving the manufacture, regulation and use of pesticides.
1990 - 1999 Chief, Pesticides Section, U.S. EPA, Atlanta, Georgia
- Responsible for working with the eight southeastern states to implement the provisions of the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA) including the Certification and Training of Pesticide Applicators, Worker Protection, Endangered Species Protection, Groundwater Protection, Enforcement, Education, Outreach, Compliance Assistance and Stewardship.
- Managed a staff of twenty-four investigators, scientists, professionals and staff assistants.
1975-1990 Consumer Safety Officer, U.S. EPA, Lakeland, Florida
- Conducted administrative inspections and civil/criminal investigations related to the enforcement and implementation of FOFRA and the Toxic Substances Control Act.
- Served as the Regional Inspector Training Officer, Project Officer for Florida, Mississippi, North Carolina and Tennessee, and assisted states in case development and prosecutions.
- Served on numerous national work groups and task forces related to pesticide regulation.
1973-1975 Pesticides Program State Liaison Officer, U.S. EPA, Atlanta, Georgia
- Worked with state lead agencies responsible for pesticide registration and regulation in the development and implementation of legislation and regulations.
- Provided assistance to the states in Region 4 regarding training and certification of pesticide applicators and the establishment of national standards.
1968 - 1973 U.S. Department of Agriculture, Agriculture Marketing Service, Winter Haven, Florida and Camilla, Georgia
- Conducted plant inspections and operated laboratories responsible for certifying processed agricultural commodities and assigning U.S. Food Grades.
- Operated an aflatoxin analytical laboratory.
Honors & Publications
- Numerous Special Act and Sustained Superior Performance Awards
- Eight EPA Bronze Medals for Commendable Service and Special Acts
- EPA Silver Medal for Superior Service in assisting the Florida State Attorney in a complex investigation in Miami, FL
- EPA Gold Medal for Outstanding Service in the Methyl Parathion Investigations in Mississippi and Tennessee
- Co-authored the EPA pesticides Inspector's Manual and the EPA Project Officer's Manual.
- Guest faculty at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center, Clynco, GA
- Member of the faculty of the National Enforcement Training Institute, Washington,D.C. And Denver, CO.
- Member of the faculties of the Pesticide Regulatory and Enforcement a program for state regulatory officials and the Pesticide Inspector Regulatory Training Program for state inspectors.
- M.S., Criminal Justice, Rollins College, Winter Park, FL
- B.A., Biology, Clarion State University, Clarion, PA